Ontario premier says management-level jobs will be axed amid health-care system overhaul

Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced on Wednesday in Cambridge, Ont. that the province added almost 100,000 net new jobs in the final three months of 2018.

CAMBRIDGE, Ont. – Premier Doug Ford says there will be management-level job losses as a result of the planned merger of 20 provincial health agencies into one.

Ford says people in the local health integration networks, such as CEOs, presidents and vice-presidents will be axed, but front-line jobs will be protected.


READ MORE:
Ontario Health super agency to co-ordinate provincial health-care system

When Health Minister Christine Elliott announced the health system transformation last month, background materials portrayed some management and administrative work at the agencies as “duplicative,” but she wouldn’t say if there would be job losses.

During last year’s election campaign, Ford often promised that under his government not a single job would be lost, but in recent weeks his government has been saying that no “front-line” jobs will be lost.


READ MORE:
Health coalition fears job losses, service impacts if Peterborough and Lindsay hospitals amalgamate

Ontario’s ombudsman has said that some workers in the provincial Child and Youth Advocate’s office will lose their jobs when his office assumes its duties this spring.

The Toronto Catholic District School Board has said the province’s decision to cut programs aimed at providing students with extra skills and support would result in the loss of about 35 part-time student tutors and 60 working in youth after-hour programs.

VIDEO: Government creates ‘Ontario Health’ super agency

© 2019 The Canadian Press

You May Also Like

Top Stories