Life can change in seconds, and you or someone you love may need blood urgently. There is no substitute for donated blood. Blood is a critical part of everyday medical care, including major surgeries, medical procedures, cancer treatments and managing diseases and disorders.
Distribution of blood to hospitals is outpacing the number of blood donations being made—especially here in Ontario, where nearly half of Canada’s population lives. While Canadian Blood Services manages a national inventory and we move blood around the country, our blood system depends on donors showing up across Canada including people right here in your community.
- There are roughly 10 million people in Ontario who are eligible to donate blood, yet only a mere fraction do—just 1.5 per cent of the population.
- Blood donors help ensure over 140 hospitals in Ontario receive more than 31,000 units of blood every month /7,400 weekly / 370,000 units of blood a year.
- Many of these hospitals treat patients from across Ontario.
- There are simply not enough donors in Ontario to ensure patients’ needs continue to be met long term.
- More than 4,000 new blood donors are needed every month in Ontario. More than 48,000 new blood donors are needed this year in Ontario.
- Nearly half of Canada’s population lives in Ontario. We can do more to save lives here at home.
Let’s come together in Penetanguishine – donate blood today.
You are an essential part of Canada’s Lifeline. Thank you for making all the difference.
Visit blood.ca, use the GiveBlood app, or call 1-888-2-DONATE (1-888-236-6283) to find and book an appointment at a donor centre near you. Often there are last minute cancellations so please continue to check online at blood.ca up until the day of the event. Attached you will find a poster for the upcoming event in your community, as well as social media tiles, please feel free to use these to help spread the word on your social media platforms regarding the need for donors this fall.