Why we need to raise awareness & support Maternal Mental Health Awareness:
– Rates across North Simcoe Muskoka are higher than the provincial average (23.8%, provincial is 16.9%. ).
– No one is immune! Women of every culture, age, income level and race can develop perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
– Symptoms can appear any time during pregnancy and the first 12 months after childbirth. There are effective and well-researched treatment options available to help women recover.
– Without early screening and treatment, 50- 70% of women with perinatal mood disorders will continue to experience symptoms through the postpartum period & unfortunately up to 40% will still have symptoms 4-5 years post-delivery.
– Mental illness in the perinatal period may negatively influence parenting practices such as bonding and attachment. As a result, children may experience cognitive, emotional and behavioural impairments increasing vulnerability at school and into adulthood.